The Riddoch Art Gallery is the largest and finest regional gallery in South Australia. It was first opened in the Mount Gambier Institute in 1887 with funding from pastoralist, parliamentarian and cultural benefactor John Riddoch.
In 2011, the most recent redevelopment of the Gallery was undertaken as part of the Main Corner project, providing state of the art energy-efficient climate control, improved artwork storage facilities, a new studio/workshop space and resource room, and an impressive architecturally designed public entrance.
The gallery employs professional staff, maintains international art museum standard conditions and is the only state government funded regional gallery. The collection of over 1500 items includes important paintings and prints that depict the people and history of the Limestone Coast, a significant collection of Aboriginal art from Utopia and a large collection of 20th Century Australian art. The Gallery is a Deductible Gift Recipient and is able to accept gifts under the Federal Government Cultural Gifts and Bequests program.
Riddoch Art Gallery is publicly funded with assistance from Country Arts SA, the City of Mount Gambier and the District Council of Grant. It provides gallery space for local artists and community groups and provides both state and national touring exhibitions.